Please check back once your parent or guardian has granted permission for the use of this application.
Taught by Muhammad (TBM) is an outreach project within Yusuf Youth Initiative. The project aims at building understanding between Muslims and the wider community. The project launched in summer 2013 with a bus and poster campaign promoting universal messages of tolerance and understanding. Today the project runs support cafes, a delivery based food bank, hot meals for the homeless and budget cooking courses across the city.
As the Support Café Co-ordinator, your duties will be to assist and deliver the Taught by Muhammad support café provision across four areas in Dundee. The programme will be delivered in Kirkton, Charleston, Finmill and Douglas Community Centres weekly. The role will require you to recruit volunteers, plan logistics including preparation of the meals, and liaise with partner agencies.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Support Café co-ordinator will be expected to:
1. Co-ordinate the general running of the café on a weekly basis initially
2. Recruit and support volunteers to participate in the running of the café
3. Organise relevant training and rota system for volunteers
4. Undertake risk assessment for community café and participating volunteers and services
5. Ensure compliance with food hygiene regulations
6. Order stock, shop for food and undertake regular stock-taking
7. Help cook and serve food, and ensure premises and kitchen are cleaned up afterwards
8. Be responsible for cash handling, petty cash and balance of income/expenditure
9. Work in partnership with services and organisations to provide a holistic service to the clients.
10. Provide a friendly, respectful and non-judgemental service to members of the public attending the café, including those with specific needs and issues such as substance misuse
11. Work alongside, and report to, the line manager on a fortnightly basis
12. Help evaluate the project by gathering feedback from volunteers and those using the community café
13. Will be responsible for marketing and promoting new and existing support cafes.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
• Can engage, motivate and inspire volunteers and participants to take part in the weekly support cafés
• Has an understanding of the principles of engaging local people and groups in community activities.
• Can describe and reflect on personal experience of food shopping, cooking and food waste
• Can demonstrate good organisational skills.
• Shows a genuine interest in food and people.
• Has an awareness of environmental health, food hygiene and safety.
• Has good communication skills, oral and written.
• Possesses basic cooking and food shopping skills and can adapt recipes.
• Possesses basic food and nutrition knowledge.
• Can travel throughout Dundee.
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
• Has a skill in monitoring and evaluating service performance against standards and outcomes.
• Has experience of collaborative working with local agencies, community groups and project participants.
• Has experience monitoring financial expenditure within budgets.
• Has a certificate in the NHS Cook-it programme or equivalent*.
• Hold a First Aid qualification*.
• Holds a Health and Hygiene Certificate*.
• Valid UK driving licence.
* Full training will be provided if you do not meet these requirements.
Experience of working with groups of adults in a learning environment is desirable.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Reports to: Taught By Muhammad Project Manager
Salary level: £9 per hour (sessional contract)
Hours of work: Approximately 20 hours per week (variable) – 12 months contract
Place of work: Yusuf Youth Initiative, 31 Dunsinane Avenue, Dundee DD2 3QF
Notice of Termination: The appointment may be terminated by either side with 1 months’ notice.
Disability: The Yusuf Youth Initiative is wheelchair accessible. Equal opportunity for all.
Application Close Date:19/4/2018
For more info and a direct link to apply, please leave your details below. If you think you need help with building/ Adapting your CV or cover letter please visit the support section of the app